If you’ve just blown thousands of dollars on a flash new deck, it’s important to understand how to properly take care of it. If you don’t use the right tools and techniques, your deck could weather away in a few years. The good news is that there are plenty of ways you can maintain the longevity of your new outdoor space. In this article, we’ll outline exactly how.
The Foundations of Deck Maintenance
Not everyone is proficient in household repairs, and that’s okay! Here’s a few basic principles you can follow to ensure your deck remains in pristine condition for years to come.
- Avoid using a high-pressure washer – it’s understandable that a high pressure washer seems like a good idea when trying to remove dirt from a deck. However, if the pressure is too severe it can splinter your deck which will lead to further complications.
- Don’t clean your deck with bleach – whatever you do, don’t clean your deck with chlorine bleach. If you want to maintain the beautiful colours of your deck, the bleach will stain and damage it’s appearance irrevocably.
- Apply a sealant – always make sure you sand back your deck before applying a sealing agent. Remember, don’t ever use paint as a sealant.
- Lightly clean your deck regularly – instead of using a high pressure hose it never hurts to lightly apply water to your deck. With a gentle scrub, you can easily restore the beautiful appeal of your deck.
- Be hypervigilant about damages and marks – splintering decking or other kinds of damage are irreversible and will require deck repairs. A small issue can become a larger one further down the line.
How Often Should You Treat Your Deck?
Professionals recommend that you restrain your deck at least every two years. This factor can change depending on the type of deck you have as well as the qualities of the timber. If you’re still unsure, call your local decking services for advice.
How Often Do You Need To Waterproof a Deck?
Applying a sealer to your deck should be done at least once a year if you want to maintain the highest quality deck. However, many regulars recommend waterproofing your deck with a stainer once every two to three years.
How Long Do Decks Usually Last?
Depending on how well you look after your deck, it can last upwards of 15 years. A deck that is left unstained and untreated is likely to only last a few years. This is why it’s important that you set up a regular deck maintenance schedule for your own home and strictly adhere to it. In this manner, you’ll be able to routinely keep your deck in pristine condition and provide a flush outdoor area for social events and gatherings.
What Do I Do If My Deck Is Damaged?
As mentioned, you need to be hypervigilant about damages to your deck. If your deck is starting to splinter or there are cracks in the floorboards, it’s time to get a professional deck repair. If you’re living in Brisbane, there are a variety of dependable services available such as BBI Professional Services. If you call up, they’ll deploy a local carpenter to your location. They have been said to carry out the friendliest and most efficient deck repairs.
Where Can I Find More Information On Deck Maintenance?
If you’re still unsure of how to maintain your deck, the great news is that there’s invaluable information at your fingertips through your search engine such as masterclass videos and YouTube tutorials such as the one below by Ron Hazelton. No matter what your situation, by doing your own research you’ll be able to discover exactly what you need to know about maintaining the longevity of your deck.